Updated: Aug 31, 2020
Want to brighten up your makeup? Coloured eyeliner has been on trend since 2019 and it doesn’t look like that’s going away anytime soon! So, we put together a step-by-step guide about how to wear coloured eyeliner and let the colour still pop while wearing lashes!
You will need:
Coloured eyeliner - in the colour(s) that you want to use.
Eyelash adhesive (clear) - again, the colour is up to you but we recommend using a clear adhesive when using coloured eyeliner.
A pair of false eyelashes
1. Select your colour or colours. Do you want to match your outfit? A nude or skin tone colour? The colour of your eyes or have a rainbow? The choice is yours! I’ll be using a blue eyeliner to match my outfit.
2. Choose what type of liner you want to use, based on the ease of using it and how fit it is for your makeup look. Pencil eyeliners are good to use on your waterline or to create a smudged or smokey eye look. Gel eyeliner can give a professional look. Liquid eyeliners can give sharp definition and finally, water-activated eyeliners are very popular at the moment. Water-activated eyeliners are used by adding a bit of water to the pot of colour and mixing the surface with an eyeliner brush, until it becomes a creamy consistency, before use. Water-activated eyeliner gives a smooth, smudge-proof matte finish. If you don’t have coloured eyeliners, try using concealer, an eyeliner brush and coloured eyeshadow! I’ll be using a liquid eyeliner to create this look.
3. Choose the eyelashes you would like to wear. This can again be the style that compliments your eye shape, eyeliner style or both! As I am creating a winged eyeliner look, I will be using Eni Lashes in the style Determination, which is a tapered style, to compliment the eyeliner wings and draw more attention to them. The style I will be wearing Determination by Eni Lashes. To shop this style, click here.
4. Create your eye look - I’ll be doing winged eyeliner. Make your line on your eyelid slightly thicker as the band of the eyelashes may cover some of your creation and you still want to see your colour pop by the time you apply your eyelashes! Bringing your eyeliner all the way to the outer corners of your eyes will also help, regardless of if you’re lining the outer half or all of your eyelids. If you are lining your lower lash line with colour, do the same as you normally would.
5. Apply mascara as you normally would do.
6. Glue the band of your eyelashes using a clear adhesive, ensuring to put a bit extra on the outer corners to prevent them from lifting throughout the day. You want to use a clear adhesive so the colour of your eyeliner will always show through the adhesive. This especially helps for beginners as if the adhesive smudges on your eyelid it won’t matter as much. Don’t have a clear eyelash adhesive? Don’t worry! We have adhesives in different colours and with different applicators. Click here to view our range.
7. This step is optional. Line your eyelash line with the same clear glue ensuring to keep as close to your lash line as possible. This will help your lashes to last all day (and night) and will also help you to apply your eyelashes to the right place if you’re a beginner. Test a bit of adhesive and eyeliner of your hand to see if the adhesive will smudge or ruin your eyeliner design. If not, go ahead and apply the clear lash adhesive to your lash line!
8. Use an eyelash applicator or tweezers to apply your eyelashes as close to your lash line as possible. Don’t be afraid to squeeze the applicator to get those lashes as close to your natural eyelash line as possible. Eyelash applicators make the whole process a lot easier. We have high-quality eyelash applicators coming out soon, to keep up to date, sign up to our mailing list.
9. Go back with your eyeliner if you need to touch up any areas.
10. There you have it! A beautiful, colourful eyeliner look!
Have you done a colourful eyeliner look before? How did it go? If you were to do a colourful eyeliner look which colour(s) would you use? Let us know in the comments!
Know a friend who might value these tips? Share this post with them and spread the knowledge!